Last week I attended the #ACCELERATE conference in San Francisco, California. It was the first type of conference of it’s kind and it was amazing how much they packed into a single day. They promised a “fire hose of learning” and they delivered!
The main presenters each had 20 minutes to provide 10 tips on whichever topic they were presenting on. All the presenters finished on-time and provided a ton of great tips across a wide variety of topics including:
- Social Analytics
- Monetizing Facebook
- Building an Integrated Listening Environment
- Mobile Strategy
- Tag Management Systems
- Creating a Data Driven Organization
- Turning Around your Web Analytics Program
- Improving your Vendor Relationship
- Building a Great Digital Measurement Team
After the main speakers concluded, it was time for the Super Accelerator session. Each Super Accelerator had 5 minutes to focus on one point/topic. The final one of the day was the best (and the speaker won a prize) by doing his entire presentation in rhyme. Some of the topics covered by the Super Accelerators included:
- Stop Being a Report Monkey
- The Rarity of a True Web Analyst
- Sharing the Story Behind the Data
- Competitive Facebook Analytics
- Web Analytics Career Development
- Learning to Say No
- Having Unconditional Love for Customers, Co-Workers and Vendors
- Media Fragmentation
- Benefits of “Freemium” Analytics Tools
- Mobile Analytics
- Tracking User Behavior while Respecting their Privacy
Here are my top five learnings from the fire-hose of data I was doused with at this conference:
- It’s not just about web analytics anymore, it’s about digital measurement (web, mobile, social media, who knows what’s next?)
- When marketing on Facebook, use ads, not the wall on your company page. The wall is for engaging with your followers.
- Data is dirty. Get over it!
- When working with vendors, do not assume they can read your mind!
- As consumption of digital content via mobile devices increases, mobile analytics is becoming increasingly critical.